Welcome to the Charterhouse Returns website.
In 1920, late one December night, the Charterhouse lifeboat left Fishguard harbour in response to distress flares fired from the stricken Dutch schooner Hermina. In treacherous conditions, seven crewmen from the Hermina were rescued and the lifeboat headed to shore. With the engine drenched, one sail shredded, the lifeboat-men manned the oars and re-set the jib and sailed home
For their efforts, the crew received coveted Gold, Silver and Bronze RNLI medals which were presented to them at the Palace of Westminster, London, with the Charterhouse lifeboat also in attendance as the guest of honour.
This site will follow and journal the efforts of Fishguard's community to bring the 100 year old lifeboat home to Fishguard.
The current owners of the Chaterhouse (now renamed Marian) have kindly agreed to donate the vessel to the towns of Fishguard and Goodwick - our thanks to the Lomas family.